Dec 31, 2010

பால் போலவே வான் மீதிலே - உயர்ந்த மனிதன் (Song from Uyarndha Manithan)

This is an old Tamil classic with Sivaji Ganesan. Looking back at this, we all feel silly as to how we liked movies of this sorts, but it does not matter. It was a great movie for its time. M.S. Viswanathan's music was great and Sivaji was screaming and overacting. In this song, Vanishree does the typical dance sequence of movies, but Susheela sings this so well. I remember listening to songs like this at 10 PM on Wednesdays (Only night in the 70's that Radio Ceylon had film songs that late).

"Like pure milk, in the night skies, who are you waiting to see? Tomorrow night, exactly at this time, come running, you moon; tonight, my king is not here, so please leave; you, breeze, please stop to look at my lonliness"

"At the entrance to my eyes my lord, my master, showed up; he showered my thoughts with garlands; did he become  poet just so he can sing about the beautiful girl (that I am)? he became an artist after looking at how soft and beautiful the womanhood is!"

"Why am I leaving the scene without expressing my desires? Just when I was ready to do so, why did my shyness creep in? My feet are following the path that my lord traced ahead of me; why are your eyes so intoxicated tonight, you girl?"



பால் போலவே வான் மீதிலே
யார் காணவே நீ காய்கிறாய்

நாளை இந்த வேளை பார்த்து ஓடி வா நிலா 
இன்று எந்தன் தலைவன் இல்லை சென்று வா நிலா
தென்றலே என் தனிமை கண்டு நின்று போய் விடு
தென்றலே என் தனிமை கண்டு நின்று போய் விடு

வண்ண விழியின் வாசலில் என் தேவன் தோன்றினான்
எண்ணம் என்னும் மேடையில் பொன் மாலை சூடினான்
கன்னி அழகை பாடவோ அவன் கவிஞன் ஆகினான்
பெண்மையே உன் மென்மை கண்டு கலைஞன் ஆகினான்

சொல்ல நினைத்த ஆசைகள் சொல்லாமல் போவதேன்
சொல்ல வந்த நேரத்தில் பொல்லாத நாணமேன்
மன்னன் நடந்த பாதையில் என் கால்கள் செல்வதேன்
மங்கையே உன் கண்கள் இன்று மயக்கம் கொண்டதேன்

Enjoy watching the video here:

No comments: